This is a slightly boring tale about “The Back Corner”. A part of our yard we always pretended wasn’t there. We cropped out of photos, never let the kids near it and hoped the neighbours didn’t notice.
When we moved into our house, the back yard was in terrible shape. Bird baths, bird feeders and rock gardens galore. The back corner of the yard was once a lovely garden (I assume), but was now over grown with brush, weeds and plants and flowers that were not maintained in years. We knew we wanted to remove the long overgrown garden right from the start but it was one of those projects that seemed so impossible and daunting. So naturally, we pushed it off for 6 years.
Last year we had to remove a couple of sick and damaged trees and with that complete we finally got the motivation we needed to tackle what was now known as “The Back Corner”.
Mike rented a tractor and went to work cutting and digging out bush after stump after root system. It took almost 3 full days and when it was finished we levelled out what we could and removed the debris. That brought us to the end of nice weather, 2016.
You can see just the amount of brush and growth we had to remove in these pictures. We also found rock gardens and railway ties that made up landscaping features at one time but became lost and buried in the garden as it grew over.
Nothing makes this man happier then driving some type of machinery that can dig a big hole.
Fast forward to spring 2017. This is what we started with this spring. Weeds, sand and some bulb flowers trying to make a comeback now that they were given some space and sunlight. You can also see exposed sprinkler system! So lovely isn’t it? We ran some additional pipe to properly busy the sprinkler system we unearthed the previous summer. If we were going to remove the garden, we needed to be able to water and maintain the new grass we hoped to plant.
As you can see Minnie took to digging giant holes in The Back Corner which really started making me want to just fix it and be done with it!
Mike got to work tilling the weeds and old root systems out which took almost 2 full weeks. He would till, I would rake and and dig out the debris. And we did this over 2 or 3 times. The rototiller would find some lovely old piece of plastic or landscaping mat, get jammed up, we would fix it and keep going.
You can see the piles on piles of weeds and roots on the side of the lawn ready to be bagged and taken to the dump.
Minnie was a great help with her green bucket and impeccable ability to lay down in the worst possible place based on what you are working on. Here she selected the intersection of the sprinkler system and extension cord on the day we buried the new section of sprinkler system.
The last step before grass was to level the are as best as we could before spreading grass seed. We did pretty good on this, but since we have had a ton of rain since then, we do have some dips to fill it which we will do once the grass as filled in nice and strong.
And this is “The Back Corner” today. After 1 round of hydro seed and 2 giant bags of grass seed we are finally seeing our lawn fill in. It doesn’t seem like much but to us this is a HUGE step towards the backyard we have always wanted. The lilac bushes are now filling out along the fence and after a couple more bags of seed, we can move towards our fire pit sitting area!